CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Monday 27 June 2011

...is in an on again off again relationship

Is Facebook Relationship Statuses Important in a Relationship?


Often something discussed with my girlfriends, who as women automatically believe that proclaiming to the world of  Facebook that you are in a relationship signifies that you are in said relationship. 


When I log onto my Facebook page automatically I am plagued with people telling me that they are in/now not in a relationship - or at least I was until I culled my friend list. For me, standing in the centre of a solar system of rocky friends, I believe that - at least some times - telling everyone you are now in a relationship - moments after getting into the relationship - is bragging.

And what for? I myself do not have "relationship status" on my Facebook profile for two reasons. Firstly - privacy as nowadays criminals could use Facebook to fake your identity and secondly: the only two people who should care are the two people in the relationship...okay and maybe the friends you see and family. 

However, recently my darling friend Beth* has been having problems with this tiny little thing. Beth is in the - classic on/off then on/off relationship...and though her relationship has no foundations for general upkeep she is somewhat blindly determined that he is the one. And he could be - who am I to say??

Anyway several weeks ago, after having "singled" herself in the Facebook world several months ago, Beth A: re-got back with him and B: put "in a relationship" as her status.

Harmless I believe - she's done a lot for him these last couple of months ... yet Mr On/off has yet to deal with his end of the bargain. Three weeks later he dishes out two excuses A: "I've not been on Facebook" - except all the status updates and B:  "but none of my friends know we're back together because it never came up..."

So, whilst hurt and somewhat pissed off Beth is left wondering what the hell is wrong here. It's a simple click, right? So it should take two seconds and he has nothing to be ashamed of. He broke up with her then begged her come back so you'd think he'd be a little more perky on the subject.

And I am left wondering what it does mean in the grand scale of things. Does FB suddenly make things official, from simple dates and fun to something real or it is just another volcano that we don't need in our lives?

Debatable...

Nikki


0 comments:

Post a Comment